Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Inspirational Women: Make-up artist and blogger Linda Andersson

I'm a low maintenance kind of gal, mainly due to my money no longer being spent on indulgent face creams and lengthening mascaras, but instead on plastic dinosaurs and Spiderman comics. My beauty regime consists of moisturising daily, painting my nails occasionally and brushing my hair rarely. But at 35 I know only too well what a difference make-up can make to my style and most importantly the way I feel. 

Linda Andersson is a professional make-up artist I worked with during my years in London. I always loved her relaxed Scandinavian style and her beautifully natural, under-stated work, and we always had a good laugh too. 

More recently it was Linda's blog, Nude Lip and Smokey Eye that first inspired me to try my hand at blogging so I wanted to ask her more about her story and inspiration over the years.



What inspired you to become a make-up artist, and tell us a little about your career so far?

It was by coincidence, when I finished my A-levels it was quite high unemployment in Sweden. My mum kept saying that I had to have a plan after graduating; there was nothing that I really wanted to study. I liked doing my own make up when I was a teenager but never went out wearing it. I saw an article about a make up course in Stockholm and I went to do the course. After that I was selling and promoting products by Lancome, Helena Rubinstein and Biotherm in department stores. It was not what I had in mind when I went to study make up, so I did some more research and found a course at London College of Fashion and came to England to do a two year course in Special Make Up design in 2003. 

After finishing LCF I started assisting other make up artists and I had lots of part-time jobs to support my make up business. After a couple of years I was lucky to be approached by an agent, S Management. Since then make up has been my full time job. My clients include Whistles, Reiss and M&S, I have shot for magazines like Bon, Nylon, Gioia, Costume, Vogue NL and I assist at shows in NYC, London, Milan and Paris. Being a make up artist in London is very competitive, there are so many of us, you constantly have to try to open new doors. It’s hard work but fun, too.


Why did you start your blog?

Both my boyfriend (http://thebreaks.post-new.com/author/david-hellqvist/) and my sister (www.sworsk.tumblr.com) had blogs and I was like, maybe I should start one too. People ask me about make up all the time and I thought it would be a good idea to share my favorite products and it’s a good way of promoting my work as a make up artist.

Blogging in Sweden is very popular and it started much earlier there than here, I started my blog on blogspot in 2008 and since a year ago it has been part of Elin Kling’s blog platform ‘Freshnet’.

What does style mean to you, and how important is it for your job?

Good style to me is someone that knows his or her body and shape and can dress it well. It doesn’t have anything to do with trends. Being a freelance make up artist often means working with new groups of people every time you go to work, so I think style is really important, it’s the first impression that people get from you when you come to a new job. Also, when working with make up you don’t wear your nicest pieces to work - I wear a lot of black and darker colours just because of the risk of smudging make up on my clothes. It also has to be comfortable - the work days can sometimes be really long!

What does a woman's make-up say about her sense of style?

Everything. Badly done make up for me is bad style and much worse than not wearing any make up, and by that I mean piling on lots of make up. 

People always ask me why I don’t wear more make up since I’m a make up artist, but I really dislike when you go in to a make up shop and you meet a shop assistant with lots of make up on wanting to do your make up or sell you stuff, I always feel a bit like, I don’t trust that person or will that person try to do my make up like the way they do their own? I guess it’s a bit like showing your portfolio in your face. That’s way I like to just look fresh-faced and just enhance your good features. 

Make up is a really good tool to brighten up your outfit or your mood. If you feel a bit grey, just add a lipstick to your day make up and you will feel so much more alive, or to transform a day outfit into an evening one, just do stronger make up. 

What is your favourite everyday make-up item?

Difficult… only one product? I love my Estee Lauder Disappear ConcealerMyface BlusherLancome Hypnose mascara and Mac Coffee eye pencil. But if I had to choose only one it would be the mascara, I guess.

How would you define your style and how has it evolved over the years?

I think I have a very Swedish style with simple and clean lines. I love my jeans and I’m always looking for boots with a good heel to work in.  Sometimes I try to be bold and colourful, but since I am quite fair it never really works out – often I ended up in monochrome clothes. Nowadays I try to buy better quality pieces that will last longer. I think that comes with age. But I still do the ‘trend of the season’ thing when shopping in high street stores.

What is your favourite item of clothing and accessory?

My Whistles leather jacket [1], Whyred handbag and my necklace from Giles and Brothers [2], another favourite at the moment is my vintage crystal necklace [2] that I bought in Margate a few weeks ago.


How many pairs of shoes do you have?

27 [3].

What is your advice for other women wanting to become a successful make-up artist?

I don’t see myself as successful just yet, I have some more steps to climb. But I would say go for it as long as you are prepared to work hard. This business is of course about skills but also about being at the right place at the right time, a bit of luck and never to give up. If you know anyone that is a make up artist, ask if you can come and assist. I don’t think you have to do a full two year course; a short course is perfectly fine. Being someone’s assistant is great for picking up techniques and what products to use for different results. It’s also a great way to meet people in the industry; photographers, hair and styling assistants that you might work with later on.

Do you have any blogging tips too?

Get a twitter account to promote your blog, it’s great to link different brands that you might write about, or another one is a Facebook page - both of these are great to build your readership and to update people on what’s going on. But, lastly, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, sometimes you lose inspiration and that's ok. 

Blogging should just be fun!


You can see more of Linda's work at:
Or you can follow her on-line at:
Instagram: Anderssonalma

2 comments :

  1. Great interview. So true about piling on the makeup being worse than none!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, awesome interview!! I love her work and values. Plus, blogging should just be fun is so true. And I certainly want to see all 27 shoes that she has =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...