Tuesday, 16 October 2012

The Joy of Dressing Up!

Recently I had a night out for my birthday and I couldn't help but think about how the feeling of getting dressed up, I mean properly dressed up - you know the figure hugging trousers, high heels and glossy make-up kind of dressed-up, made me feel like the old me. And here is where my dilemma lies, as a full-time mum this routine is a very rare one. Most days are spent in jeans [must be good at disguising food / glue / paint / mud stains], flat comfortable shoes [suitable for climbing trees / muddy / puddles / chasing], hair scraped off face [inevitably there is never enough time in the morning for running a brush through it - I know I should just get up earlier!!], and minimal make-up [consisting of moisturiser, bare foundation, and a smudge of cream blush if I have the inclination]. So those moments when I get to go out for an evening and not be 'mum' are a very rare indulgence. It feels a little bit like layer by layer I'm putting the old me back on, remembering that once upon a time this was almost a daily routine. But perhaps this sounds a little maudlin - I don't mean it to, but I also know that that is still a part of who I am.

So, as mums, how do we balance these two sides of ourselves? I'm sure the answer is to be found in a large glass of wine and a slick of red lipstick and reminding ourselves that it's OK to be both - as women we have many different personalities we wear everyday and the fun part is embracing them all and being present through each moment.

Here are some fabulous, indulgent, extravagant and frankly a little crazy dressing-up pieces to inspire your next big night out!! 

How do you spend a good night out?



1. Dress, £114.99, Mango
2. Tuxe all-in-one, £265, Reiss
3. Slingbacks, £69 [sale], KG at House of Fraser
4. Silk clutch, £176, Wilbur and Gussie at My-wardrobe.com
5. Necklace, £48, Anthropologie

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...