Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Makeup Tips with Hair and Makeup artist Lisa Valencia

Think of Christmas time and you think of sparkle; party sequins, fairy lights, the rustle of Quality Street wrappers. There's a twinkle in the air and what better time to give your makeup a glam face-lift [metaphorically speaking!]? 

Whether it's dinner with the other half or just drinks down the pub with my girlfriends I'm a sucker for putting on a pair of heels and stepping out the door feeling like Holly Golightly on her way to Sing Sing. I  don't want to fall into the trap of rushing out with my usual makeup on. So I wanted to get a few simple tips from hair and makeup artist Lisa Valencia. Lisa and I worked together on catalogue and editorial shoots and I always loved her own makeup when we headed out in the evenings for dinner, as well as her beautiful professional work. Her signature style was always her pretty glowing skin [even with 3 sons at home!], so in a bid to get myself out of a makeup rut I emailed over a few questions.


THE NOTEBOOK: What is your definition of style?

LV:  My definition of style is all about the classics; a simple red lip, or a black flick on the eye. It's  important you feel confident within yourself, it's great to add fashion and seasonal elements to your hair and makeup style, but there's a reason why the classics have stood the test of time.

TN: What, or who inspires you?

LV: I'm inspired by people that have a sense of style and really know themselves and what suits them. Angelina Jolie always sticks to classic hair and makeup and always looks beautiful, I admire Beyonce and Rhianna for their sense of fun and ever changing styles.


1. Angelina Jolie, image source: Marie Claire
2. Beyonce, image source: Pinterest
3.  Rihanna, image source: Harpers Bazaar

TN: What is your personal approach to party makeup?

LV: My personal approach to party-style makeup is to focus on one area of the face and really go for it. I love texture, so I'll keep my skin glossy and go for a matte red or plum lip. My other favourite is metallic smokey eyes, using dark greys and golds.

TN: What are your top five beauty products for this time of year?

LV: Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser [1]. I use this all year round, I'm a big fan of glossy skin and this can be mixed with your favourite foundation for extra coverage or used alone to even out your skin tone.

Le Labo Perfume Santal 33 [2]. I originally bought this for my husband, but it's somehow never left my handbag, I'm addicted to its smokey, leathery, sandalwood scent.

Nars lipstick in Valparaiso [3]. It's such a beautiful deep winter colour that suits all skin tones.


Egyptian Magic Cream [4]. This is a thick heavy all purpose cream that is great for dry skin. I use it on my hands, or as a face mask, it also makes a great lip balm.

Bobbi Brown Cream Blusher in Calypso [5]. Use this on the apples of your cheeks and you'll never look washed out and pasty. It's great if your feeling tired, as the colour detracts from tired eyes and gives you an over all fresh and awake look.

Badedas bath foam, I love the smell and it gives the best bubbles, I much prefer a bath over a shower.



TN: Can you give us one simple makeup tip to see us through the party season?

LV: Add false eyelashes. I love Eylure Number 100, as they give definition, but without looking too vampy. Apply with tweezers, and you'll look instantly glamourous and ready to party.

TN: And what about a simple hair tip? 

LV: Dry shampoo is great for adding volume to your hair, and it comes in different shades to suit your hair colour. Turn your head upside down and spray it onto your roots, massage it into the roots of your hair, and then gently back-comb. You'll have amazing big sexy hair.

TN: It's the morning after - what can we do to look a little brighter?

LV: For the morning after, I would stick to makeup that's going to illuminate your skin, nothing too matte. If you use the Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser and Bobbi Brown Cream Blush in Calypso as mentioned above you'll instantly look radiant


Thanks Lisa! You can see Lisa's work at Carol Hayes Management and follow her on Twitter at https://twitter.com/lisavalencia1.

6 comments :

  1. I read your blog on my dreary commute home. its wonderful! Thanks for the tips! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your comment made my day too : D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to hunt down that Bobby Brown creme blush tomorrow - I feel like the morning after all of the time at the moment! Really great tips, a little grooming is so important for us girls, nothing over the top but something done well! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the admin for provide us the above tips which are really effective for us.I think above all the tips are highly examined with the experts so I think it's really helpful to us. I will try those tips in my home as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the above tips are truly awesome for improving our beauty. Any kind of suggestions from Lisa Valencia always help me for growing consciousness about beauty . Now a days I am facing a great problem with my hair. Most of the hair fall in down. That's why I am wearing tape hair extensions from last couple of days. It's really looking a big change in my face. I think it's a great part of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take note of those tips. This would be a big help. Thanks. professional makeup artist philippines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...