Sunday, 2 December 2012

Stylish Thrifting: Outlet Shopping

I've recently had a good clear out of my wardrobe, this is great therapy not just to clear your cupboards but your mind too! Out with the summer pieces that won't make an appearance for a few months, and in with the woolly jumpers and thick tights that will keep me going through the winter months.

I can heartily recommend it if you don't do it already, pull out all those things that you haven't worn in the last 6 months and with a little soul-searching figure out if you will ever wear it again or whether you want to sell / donate it.

I also think it's a great idea to store items. Often if I put something away for a few months out of sight, when I get it out of the storage bag again it takes on a new lease of life and I discover it goes with a new pair of trousers I've recently bought, or I can get the length altered to make it more current...well, you get the picture.

This is also the time to see where any new pieces fit in with your old wardrobe, it's a kind of mental inventory of your clothes and will help you to avoid buying the same pieces over again. I've made some recent purchases at one of my favourite outlets in Norfolk. It is the Jaeger outlet near Kings Lynn and is tucked away on an industrial estate but often has the best gems and the most incredible prices.

Outlet shopping can be a chore. Some stores have product that they only sell through their outlets so it can be disheartening to travel miles to discover rails of shapeless hooded tops and brightly coloured canvas totes, but if you get it right you can find a brilliant piece that has been reduced from £200 down to £12 as I did recently with a suede handbag. But don't be fooled this isn't for the faint-hearted as often the pieces are damaged and may seem beyond repair. There is a leap of faith involved as you just have to cross your fingers and hope, as I did, that you can fix the broken zip with a little WD40 and a lot of patience.

In the UK you can find your nearest designer outlet on-line. Bicester Village and the McArthur Glen Shopping Villages are among the best, alternatively if you live near a factory where a designer produces their clothing you may discover a factory shop, for example the John Smedley Factory Shop is in Matlock but similar stores are located around the country, and outlets are also cropping up more and more on-line through auction sites like ebay.

There are also designer warehouse sales that happen throughout the year. The best in London is the DWS sale, always subscribe to the mailing list to get the most up-to-date dates and information.

1. Jaeger Boutique blouse, outlet price £10 
2. Jaeger Boutique dress, outlet price £20 
3. Jaeger handbag with broken strap, outlet price £20 

What are your best designer bargains? Have you discovered a piece of Chanel in Century 21? Let me know your best bargains.

1 comment :

  1. Dear Amy,

    I am a fan of getting a bargain and somehow it make the piece just that little more special knowing you got it at a great price! I have recently relocated to near King's Lynn and would love to visit the Jaeger outlet, I have seen two shops listed in Kings Lynn, which one would you recommend? HW

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...