Friday, 17 May 2013

The Joy of Vintage

Those of you who are regular visitors to the Style Notebook will know of my obsession with all things vintage. My most recent discovery was just last weekend at a typically chaotic vintage market in the rather grand setting of our local town hall. It was the usual cocktail of 1940s and 50s evening dresses, pussycat bow blouses and 1980s denim jackets and checked shirts *sigh*. 

My aesthetic at the moment seems to run a precarious line between the simple, classic lines of chic austerity and dramatic statement pieces that will shout their presence in any room. So I was over the moon to stumble on this silky maxi skirt in the brightest most garish print imaginable. It was literally like a walking piece of art, something I would proudly hang on the wall next to a neon digi-print with the letters F-U-N in big letters. The girls at Bang Bang Vintage were very polite as I squeezed my waist into the zip and button fastening and exclaimed I would probably never be able to eat again if I wore it, but it was too late...my heart won out and I handed over my £20 with a guilty smile.


These statement pieces are the perfect foil for really simple separates, or even an unexpected striped top in a complimentary stripe [although truth-be-told I'll wear a striped top with just about anything!]. And in the spirit of finding pieces that work really hard this is one of my favourite versatile day-to-evening separates they talk about in magazines that is real value for money. You can picture it with white pumps and a white T shirt and denim jacket in summer and an asymmetric black top, black heels and dramatic earrings or clutch for evening. 

How I'd wear it...


1. Slashneck top, Reiss
2. Crystal earrings, Anthropologie 
3. Black heels, Kurt Geiger

Simple right?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...