Sunday, 18 August 2013

Ellie Lines fashion stylist and designer

Hi! It's the start of a new week and what better time to introduce a new designer who I'm really excited to share with you today on the blog.

Ellie and I started working together 14 years ago in the fashion department of Red magazine. We worked in the fashion cupboard, a cluttered wardrobe of over-stuffed rails and shelves groaning under the weight of handbags, shoes and costume jewellery. Our job was to  keep track of designer and high street samples that came in and out of the department for shoots and shopping pages. If we were lucky, we got to go on the occasional shoot and to the shows where we'd stand at the back peering between legs and on tip-toe over heads to try and catch a glimpse of the new collections.

In the evenings we'd venture into the fashionable bars of Soho with a few pounds in our de-rigueur antique handbags and soak up the style and buzz that was the media hub of creative life in London. We hardly had a penny between us so I remember taking the perilous journey back to my house-share in a particularly unfashionable and occasionally dangerous part of South East London on the night-bus, too broke for a pricy cab home.

Ellie always wore a colourful statement dress or drainpipe thin trousers with Carrie-Bradshaw-style vintage heels she'd picked up for a few pounds in a charity shop.

Naturally our careers progressed, I stayed at Red whilst Ellie took the more adventurous route, styling celebrities for TV and music videos, working on exciting editorial for edgy and up-and-coming magazines and designers, and later working back-to-back catalogue shoots in exotic locations around the world.

Although our lives have taken very different turns we remain firm friends and I'm so excited she is launching her own eponymous dress collection, Ellie Lines, inspired by her travels and the beautiful dresses she has picked up along the way.

The Notebook: How did you start your career in styling and what or who inspired you to work in fashion?
Ellie Lines: Work experience with you on Red magazine. Many days spent in the fashion cupboards of various magazines and worked up to assisting freelance stylists. I always knew that I wanted to work in fashion, I was and still am inspired by the people I work with.

TN: What is your definition of style?
EL: Style is being able to know what works best for you.

TN: How would you define your own style and how has it evolved over the years?
EL: I have always loved a good second hand find. Charity shops are the best for fashion girls on a budget, I also love the individuality of a vintage find. Secondhand shopping definitely sparked my love for dresses which I guess has now become my style.


Inspiration from Ellie's mood board.

TN: How did the line of dresses come about?
EL: It is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I had the sketches of the dresses I wanted to do. I started researching manufacturers here in London, as it was something that was very important to me to have the collection manufactured here. I was introduced to an amazing textile designer who designed my two prints and it all snowballed from there. 

TN: Who would be your ideal customer?
EL: All the ladies! I have designed a collection with a dress for a 15 year old girl and a 60 year old woman in mind. I wanted to make a capsule collection that had something in there for all the ladies and all occasions. Especially the ladies that often need a dress to take them from day through to evening. 

TN: Who are your favourite designers and do you have any pieces you're coveting at the moment?
EL: Chanel, Saint Laurent and Vivienne Westwood. I long for everything they do always.... 


TN: Do you have 1 piece of simple advice for buying the perfect dress?
EL: You have to wear the dress and not let it wear you. 

Ellie Lines - Cruise Collection




To see more dresses from Ellie Lines Cruise Collection visit the website.

You can also follow Ellie on Twitter at @LinesEllie and on Instagram @ellielines.

1 comment :

  1. I really love Ellie's style and that middle one "Debbie" is superb! How exciting for her to release her own designs and hope to see them down this part of the world soon. I've followed Ellie to keep up to date - thanks for sharing! Mel x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...