Friday, 25 October 2013

Book Review: Paris Street Style by Isabelle Thomas and Frederique Veysset

Friday and with the weather outside looking distinctly wet and cold I'm in mind to light the fire and enjoy some relaxed reading. 

Images by Amy Bartle

I'm a 'sort-of' member of an informal book group. OK, so perhaps my involvement for the last few months has been Googling the title of the book and, as per my university days, reading a synopsis of the story and a couple of intelligent reviews from informed columnists then going along to the meetings mainly to catch up on news and enjoy a glass of wine that I haven't taken out of the fridge at home [sorry girls!]. 

I love reading, perhaps I should rephrase that, I love books. Beautiful books with colourful, stylish covers and interesting titles. Occasionally I love to read a really good book too. For too long I stopped reading after my Literature degree, struggling to find the pleasure once again in opening a really great story. Then perhaps too many books disappointed me. Occasionally I would be totally enthralled by a good yarn and it would reignite my passion, but at the moment I feel like my brain is a bit too full of other stuff to make the necessary space for a great novel.

Pretty books with attractive covers like these you can dip into with ease and without the commitment of a 300 page tome. I might read a short chapter while I'm waiting for dinner to cook. Paris Street Style is one of these books and is full of beautiful photographs of stylish Parisien women. I've written before about my obsession with French style so this was the perfect gift choice from an ever-thoughtful friend. It covers what defines french style, to discovering your own style and the language of what our clothes communicate - right up my sartorial-street! I love that it reflects lots of different ages, styles and influences, but maintains the common thread of what it is that gives Parisien women that effortless, relaxed, yet confident air, even better there is a chapter entitled 'Making Cheap Look Classy - How to wear mass-produced clothes with style'. The writing has a distinctly french vernacular and the designers and women that are written about are insightful and inspiring. 

Pop by the blog on Monday for a preview of the new line from my favourite French designer Isabel Marant for H&M.

In the meantime have a great weekend!




1 comment :

  1. Looks like a wonderful book. The French (or the French I know) just have this way, they don't go out each season and purchase a whole wardrobe, they hold onto their clothes and wear it with their own personality and update with a few things. Most of all they wear it with confidence. I remember how horrified I was returning to Sydney years later and going to a night club and almost every girl on the dance floor was dressed the same! M xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...