Monday, 30 December 2013

Happy New Year x

Morning all, hope you had a wonderful christmas? Ours was a merry chaos of family visits and piles of toys! It was most excellent! We're now driving home in wintery sunshine, it's a really beautiful day here. Frosty under foot and the sun low in the sky. Are you enjoying a warm holiday or is there a chill in the air?

New year is always an odd time for us, with Noah we've struggled the last 5 years to see new year in, usually making it to a few minutes past midnight before giving up any pretence and falling, exhausted into bed. 


I'm not one for resolutions. I'm not sure they really work, but I do always take the opportunity to take a look at patterns of behaviour and ways of thinking that I fall, unthinking into. It's easy to form a bad habit right? And often we know they aren't great for us, but we persist in unhealthy ways of dealing with boredom, stress, or anxiety out of complacency and laziness.

A lot has happened in the last year that has really made me look at just those kinds of habits. This really comes back to mindfulness for me, trying to be really present and aware, so those habits don't creep in. It's always much harder than I imagine. ON the flip side of that I would like to work harder at maintaining healthy habits, all those positive things that are life affirming and health enhancing, bring our family together, or just make me feel better in myself. Again it's always much easier to say these things than it is to do them, but the long term benefits are enormous - worth the investment - like most things.

Also I'll be trying to spend more quality time with family and friends. Over christmas I've not spent as much time on-line, trying to set an example for Noah that we need time away from the TV and the computer. Hard when so much of my creative and work life is on the internet. But I like to stick to a schedule so that it doesn't spread into important family-time. Tough - probably need to try harder with this one.

And finally I will be more thankful, I have to remind myself of this every day, and will always remind Noah how important it is to appreciate what we have and not dwell on what we don't have, again, another reason not to spend too much time on-line.

I hope the year ahead for you is simple, stylish, full of love, happiness and fresh flowers, anything else is just a joyful bonus really.

2 comments :

  1. It's definitely cold here, but still no snow. :(
    I'm sure you'll achieve your goals, and best wishes with them. ♥
    By the way, Noah is a lovely name (one of my favourites)!

    Abigail x
    www.deardaffodils.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abigail - happy new year to you too. We were up in Scarborough after new year and it was pretty cold but we had some lovely sunny days too! Noah is desperate for snow - keeping fingers crossed for him ; ) happy new year, and thanks so much for stopping by x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...