Friday, 28 March 2014

Style Advice: Holiday Essentials

Morning All. Friday morning and it's good to be back. I've been working and in-between times studying for my final exam on my Yoga teacher training course. Busy times. But it's lovely to be back sharing ideas and beautiful sunny pictures even though it's raining outside.

Today's post is for a very good friend who is heading off on a warm, sunny holiday soon and wanted to get some ideas. She wrote: 

I need help!! I am going away for some spring sun to Dubai (can't wait!) and need to start thinking about updating my summer wardrobe. Any suggestions for a simple summer wardrobe? (I know it's a bit early, but I need to start shopping so I spread the cost)...I could do with three or four statement pieces that go with anything. Thank you!! xx

Now I know Liz's style well, she is cool, contemporary, simple and elegant so I'd go for a holiday wardrobe that reflects this so she can fit her existing pieces in there too. Here's a little inspiration to get us started. The key is natural, cool fabrics that can be easily mixed and match, and relaxed dresses that can be dressed down as a beach / daytime cover up, or dressed up for evening with some gold jewellery and metallic sandals.




Image via: Emerson Fry


Image via: Tory Burch




Image via: Could I Have That

Do you get the drift?

Colour can definitely work in bright stripes or cropped trousers and skirts, when you pair it with relaxed t-shirts or cotton shirts. Liz should look for:

  • A selection of classic t-shirts and vest tops in light neutrals - easy to match with anything. Hush are my favourite but are a little pricy so look at Primark and Next for cheaper alternatives.
  • A knee / mid-length skirt in a cool cotton fabric, light weight easy to pack and again can be worn for day or evening. I really like the one below from Warehouse.
  • Cropped cotton trousers or chinos. These are a much more wearable style than denim for warmer weather. Gap and Boden do the best styles on the high street.
  • I'd suggest taking a couple of loose fitting dresses. These are essentials for throwing on over swimsuits and bikinis to go from beach to bar. They look great, pack easily and will look elegant if you make it to the local market. Cotton maxis can also work really well for this. By Malene Birger has a great selection of dresses but their prices make me wince, so look at Great Plains and &Other Stories for more price conscious alternatives.
  • Comfortable sandals for everyday. This metallic pair from Top Shop are perfect, but I'd also take along a canvas pump for longer day trips and travelling.
  • The perfect holiday bag fits everything you need in. I love a relaxed leather tote, but on the beach that might not be as practical so this style from Orla Kiely would work equally well for the aeroplane or beach.



1. & 2. T-shirts from Hush - SHOP NOW
3. Button front skirt, Warehouse - SHOP NOW
4. White trousers, Boden - SHOP NOW
5. Cotton tunic dress, Jigsaw - SHOP NOW
6. Sandals, Top Shop - SHOP NOW
 7. Canvas pump, Toast - SHOP NOW
8. Orla Kiely tote bag, House of Fraser - SHOP NOW

Hope that's helpful, and don't forget if you have any style questions you can hit the 'Style Advice' button to the right of the screen and email me with any queries. See you next week.

x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...