Monday, 30 June 2014

Inspirational Women: Mel Chesneau design blogger and online retailer

Monday morning, I hope you had a great weekend. We spent a lovely day at the Yorkshire Sculpture  Park, which is just a half an hour drive from us. You can see some of the pictures from our day on my Instagram feed. I'm so happy to be back posting on Instagram after a long break due to a terrible Sony smart phone that wouldn't allow me to link my images. Isn't technology often so frustrating? And yet we are so dependent on it for so much of our lives. I now have a shiny new iPhone; the simple pleasures!

Today on the blog a real treat. An interview with a fellow blogger who has become a friend and mentor over the last year or so. Mel Chesneau lives in New Zealand with her husband and three beautiful kids. She authors the design and food blog Armoire, Pegs & Casserole. Geographically speaking we couldn't get further away from each other if we tried. At the moment I'm in the sunny northern hemisphere, while Mel is chilly down in the south, and yet despite the many miles, we've made a connection over authentic, simple style, and creative, modern design. Her area of expertise is to be found more in inspiring interior design, but our interests and aesthetics find a happy common bond. 

I was thrilled when Mel announced she was opening her own online boutique via an exciting new venture called Great.ly. Over email, she kindly agreed to answer a few questions about her blogging journey, and how she came to branch into online retail.


CAN YOU TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR STORY AND HOW YOU BEGAN BLOGGING?

I began Armoire Pegs & Casserole about a year after my third child was born as a creative outlet. I’ve always wanted to write and I could literally spend hours pouring over interior magazines, wandering through flea markets or design stores, so having that as the main topic with a bit of lifestyle thrown in, just seemed like a perfect match. 



WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT THE BLOGGING COMMUNITY?

I had no idea that there was a community when I decided to blog so this has been such a wonderful surprise to me. I love how it is thriving with so much create talent out there and there’s also this incredible support of all these wonderful bloggers cheering you on. It is the most supportive environment I’ve ever witnessed. 

TELL US ABOUT GREAT.LY AND HOW YOU STARTED YOUR OWN ON-LINE STORE?

Great.ly is an online marketplace where Tastemakers (bloggers and influencers) curate their own online stores with handmade product sourced from various Makers.  So if you like the style of a particular blogger, chances are you’ll love what they have in store. I read about it on SF Girl By Bay when they were calling out for makers and thought it was such a brilliant concept but at the time it was the huge bloggers the likes of Victoria Smith and Holly Becker that were fronting it. I forwarded the information on to some makers in New Zealand that I knew and then thought nothing of it. When it was close to the launch I thought I’d give it a go and applied to have my store and sure enough was accepted. That was about two days before launch so I madly set up shop. 

HOW DO YOU SELECT PRODUCT? AND HOW DO YOU NARROW YOUR EDIT DOWN, THERE MUST BE SO MUCH STUFF TO CHOOSE FROM?

There is a lot to choose from however it is early days and they are constantly looking for new makers. The makers have online studios that we can browse through and select. I don’t have a particular method; I just choose things that I would honestly love to own myself. 


ALL PRODUCT AVAILABLE AT MEL'S STORE | SHOP NOW |

WHO DO YOU IMAGINE YOUR CUSTOMER TO BE?

Somebody who appreciates handmade and good design.

WHAT DOES STYLE MEAN TO YOU?

Style is a very personal thing, be it with what you wear or how you decorate your home. I believe it should reflect you and your personality and also fit in with your life and where you’re at in that moment in time. Most of all, you must feel comfortable with that style, you could have the most amazing dress but if you’re conscientious of how your legs look in it, it’s just not going to work. 

WHERE DO YOU HOPE TO TAKE YOUR JOURNEY NEXT?

I will certainly develop my blog and its brand further along with opening up to interesting collaborations. Complimenting that, with more time on my hands now that my children in daycare a few days a week or school, I’m excited to take on freelance writing and styling opportunities. 

Visit Armoire, Pegs & Casserole for design inspiration and go to Mel's on-line store at Great.ly. You can also follow Mel on Twitter and Facebook.

7 comments :

  1. Amy thank you so much for the interview and your kind words. It's such a pleasure to be a guest here on your stylish blog, I love what you do! Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Thanks to you I also found out about Amy's blog, thanks :-)

      Delete
  2. Hello Amy! I just found out about your blog via Mel's blog (http://armoirepegsandcasserole.com) and I am enjoying going through your blog: what a simple, but truly stylish site! I have also noticed the BYW logo on the left menu - we could have met during the course too ;-) Wishing you a happy summer and I am now going to read a few more posts and find out more about you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! A great interview, and lovely to find out more about Mel, who I met through BYW, she has been very supportive with me to, she is lovely! And I'm pleased that she has also introduced us to your blog too, I look forward to having a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the lovely comments. Mel is a star and it was such a pleasure to have her on the blog. Happy reading and so nice to meet more BYW alumni. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy. You have a nice blog.

    Great interview with the lovely Mel.
    Thank you ladies. Happy week:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies for all of your lovely comments, you've made my day reading them! Thank you once again Amy for having me. M xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...