Wednesday, 4 June 2014

This week: Practical bags and second hand shopping

Wednesday morning, hope you're having a great week.

I thought I'd share with you a few of my recent purchases this morning as I thought it was a funny reflection on our recent weather and perhaps my pervading mood at the moment. Usually this time of year I'm hunting out great sandals, cotton skirts, relaxed t-shirts and tanks, but not this year. Instead my most recent purchases have been a woollen roll neck, wool cardigan with Chanel-style ribbon and button details, and a leather handbag that is frankly practical but not enormously stylish.

Hmmm, so what is wrong with this picture.


The colours, fabrics and feel are distinctly autumnal, but there is a reasoning in my madness so bear with me. The Day Birger Mikkelson woollen cardi and LK Bennett jumper [1. & 2.] were both from Oxfam and I have mentioned this before, when buying second hand or in the sale the best way to bag a bargain is to shop out of season. This means buying wool in summer and cool cottons in winter. It can feel counter-intuitive, but the logic really works. If you're looking on ebay this rule certainly applies.

The leather bag [3.] is one of those really practical accessories I thought would be handy whatever the time of year. It's a great size - not too big, not too small, and is a really soft quality, worn leather. Again this was vintage from a shop in London.

As I'm a big fan of this style of cross-body bag I thought I'd share a few high street versions that would fit the same bill. Great size, and a practical style.

Oh yes, and the book I'm reading at the moment which I'm really enjoying is The Hundred Foot Journey by Richard C Morais, a beautiful summer read about food and France.


1. Clemence satchel, Jigsaw | SHOP NOW
2. Polperro bag, Village England | SHOP NOW
3. Contrast panel bag, ASOS | SHOP NOW
4. Heirloom mini, Rib & Hull | SHOP NOW
5. Chocolate suede bag, Next | SHOP NOW
6. Cornelia bag, Peach Pink | SHOP NOW
7. Cross body bag, Longchamp | SHOP NOW
8. Violet large shoulder bag, Alexandre Mareuil at Far Fetch | SHOP NOW

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...