Monday, 15 September 2014

Why I won't be juggling!

Monday morning and it's great to be back. I hope you had a wonderful summer, or winter depending on your geography. After 3 trips to the Apple shop and several hours of nail biting and apprehension my laptop was finally fixed with a new hard drive installed [by me I might add - I know!], and software reinstalled. Ah the joy of modern technology!!


A SNAP FROM OUR SUMMER HOLIDAY IN MENORCA

I wanted to add a little post- script to my pre-summer blog post. You might remember my feelings of frustration and guilt at not having the time to spend on my blog and other things in my life that I wanted to. I discovered that this was a really common feeling with a lot of people I spoke to, that feeling of being constantly compromised and overwhelmed. I spent the summer rereading a fantastic book [A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle], a lot of quiet time and meditation thinking about my objectives, and this weekend I went along to an inspiring yoga workshop with Ashtanga teacher Caroline Simpson. The culmination of all this soul searching was the realisation that I need to stop juggling. I think this is the curse of our generation [not to sound too dramatic]. It is doing lots of things at the same time, it might be driving Noah to school with the radio on in the background, working at my desk with several browsers open at the same time, whilst listening to the radio, checking my emails and trying to schedule in my next dental appointment, or simply that feeling of doing a job like making the bed or washing the dishes whilst thinking at the same time about all the things I have to do in my day, and what I should be doing at that precise moment. I was constantly left feeling overwhelmed, compromised and unfulfilled like I was living a half-life. I never felt like there was ever any space in my life to just be, I was always too busy 'doing'. 

My new goal is try to focus on one thing at a time, not easy in my peripatetic, unpredictable life, but entirely possible with a little discipline and bravery [thanks Caroline!]. I have promised to stop checking my emails every 5 minutes, looking at Facebook to fill a spare moment, listening to the radio while I'm trying to do anything that requires any degree of concentration, organise my time a little more effectively, focus more fully on the job in hand, and breath a little deeper. When we focus more fully on what we're doing it firstly takes a lot less time, but also is done much better. Have you ever noticed that? Do you have solutions to modern life you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them and I'll keep you up to date on how my new approach pans out day to day.

The Simple Style Notebook is part of this process. Simple Style is not just about the clothes we wear, but the attitude and philosophy we bring not just to our outer world, but also to our inner lives. By living in an uncluttered home and approaching our personal style with clarity and sincerity we can live a more honest and authentic inner life. I hope that doesn't sound too hokey!! 

This week on the blog, a global brand you may not have heard of, some style advice for a friend heading to an autumn wedding and bold style inspiration on patterns and prints. 

I hope you can join me.

Amy xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...