Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Simple Inspiration: Yoga

Wednesday morning and I hope you're having a great week. I had such a lovely response last week from my post about yoga I thought I'd share a little bit more about my practice and how it helps day to day with life.


I found this inspiring quote from Tom Ford - not a great philosopher but a great designer who seems to not only understand about style but also about the modern world. 

At the end of November along with a good friend who is a Reiki practitioner, I'm planning a special evening at the yoga studio to raise money for our local cancer hospital. It was the hospital where my grandma spent her last few weeks. The evening is intended as a very special time for those who need a break from the stresses of life - for whatever reason - to spend a few hours nurturing and restoring themselves. I feel very passionately that our modern lives don't afford us the time to stop and just be. We are so wrapped up in hectic work / life juggling, attending to emails / phone calls / Facebook that are bodies and minds never get a chance to switch off. Not only are our lives already full to bursting but we then embark on ambitious extra curricular activities, ferrying the kids to after school clubs, committing to running that 10k for a great cause and going to the gym after / before work. 

I'm worried.

I think we're on a course to burn out, or worst our families will suffer because our time and attention is so focused on all the 'stuff' we have going on. I'm the most guilty of this, constantly taking on more projects and work.

So for one night I would love for people to take a real, earnest break. Switch the phone off. Don't log onto the computer and bring our awareness inside for just a couple of hours to rebalance our bodies and minds. 

Yoga is just one tool to do this but you can discover your own yoga. It might be taking the dog for a walk, going for a horse ride, playing a round of golf, or taking the kids on a bike ride. Have no other distractions around. Take deep, nourishing breaths as you walk. Pay attention to the light; the leaves; the sound of the wind in the trees, and breath. Really breath. Deep, expansive breaths. Be truly in the moment.

I enjoy yoga for all these reasons, but also because it teaches me to listen to my body. To stretch and create space where I've been hunched and huddled over my desk or in the car for hours. I twist and turn my spine to open up those places that have been cramped and stiffened during the day. Rebalancing and restoring my body and mind so I'm calmer, stronger and more confident day to day. 

I'd love to hear your story of how you find space and calm each day. For more information about my relaxation evening visit: www.justgiving.com/restandrelaxatthereach.

See you on Friday. 

4 comments :

  1. That's such a lovely idea (I'll pop over to your Just Giving page) and the perfect time at the end of November when everybody will be frantic about Christmas ;-) I was working in London yesterday, left home at 6am and returned to the station car park to find that my car wouldn't start. 11.30pm I eventually got home. It happens to everybody but it's these times when I make myself stop and think what on earth am I doing lol ... *takes in yogic breath*! I loved the Sivananda connection, as mucha s I loved training in California they do also run retreats in Dorset x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've posted on this theme again Amy, I just keep coming across it in things I read and conversations I have. I am constantly trying to do too many things at once, or constantly referring to technology and almost missing really beautiful/important moments. Just read this and thought of you...
    "We must learn to organize our internal world. If we don’t do that, we cannot see the distinction between things that are really weighty in life from those that are ephemeral and flashy and superficial; those that are true from those that are wrong; those that really matter from those that we can brush off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri Lou, those moments when life has other plans for us are the moments we need to take those deep breaths the most. I love Eckhart Tolle's teachings on this when he says that we should approach every moment in life with one of three attitudes; We can either accept, enjoy, or enthuse. I think your car not starting is probably just acceptance and move on as best you can, but doesn't lessen the frustration of such a long tiring day!
    Kerry, what a lovely quote, where was it from? I'm still struggling with organising my internal world, and find myself feeling overwhelmed by the ephemeral, but slowly getting better. Making choices about how I spend my time can help, and accepting that I cannot do everything, so must choose those things I want to do well. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a quote from a guy called David Wells speaking on 'distracting ourselves to death'. I found it on an email from the desiring God website xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...